Here is how it came about. I started with a spread in my Dylucions journal where the pages had already been covered with turquoise and gold Golden liquid acrylics, left over from another project. I added more pastel acrylics to the page and rubbed the paint away using baby wipes and Stencilgirl stencils (Make Marks ,Random Marks and Juxta Pose). I also stencilled directly using the same stencils and Paynes Grey. I sprayed through the stencils too using Moonglow spray ink.Because this spray contains walnut ink together with a colour it produces a very vintage like effect. I then glued on vintage images from a variety of sources as well as bits of a paper napkin with flowers. Once I was happy with the background I glued on the main imagery and outlined the head using a face from a magazine and white paint.
I added the text from a vintage book. It reads:
There be secrets of the Memory, deep, wondrous, and fearful.
Is it then a dream, that I remember the faces of them of old,
Strive to store up what was thought.
The postage stamps I added form part of the story of what we remember. Once it was all done I decided that it was looking too pale and needed an injection of colour. I started looking for a sort of cameo, at least that was what I vaguely had in mind. What I eventually found was a sheet of stickers produced by Artchix (now the shop sadly is no longer in existence) based on Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) we had made. On mine I had used the image of a vintage lady with a greyhound and that was the sticker that suddenly seemed the right thing for this spread.It was adhered to the page using washi tape and I added the same washi tape in other places too for coherence.





That's a great spread, dark tho it may be. The book text is perfect, as are the grieving woman and the lady with the greyhound. A lovely piece of work and hopefully a bit comforting to create.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful - I find it ethereal and dreamy rather than dark. There must be some lovely memories in there as well as sadness
ReplyDeleteI love the story telling you do with your pages Frieda. There does seem to be a bit of reflective sadness to it. Funny, I just used another ARTchix poste image and while looking for a specific one, came across the one you made with Troi on it.
ReplyDelete