Monday 6 April 2020

The 100 Day Project

Footloose in the Forest 2013


 I want to make you aware of the fact that I'm going to participate in the #the100dayproject on Instagram, starting on the 7th April. It's a project that has taken place in previous years but this will be my first time. I have a plan! (always a good start).

I have resurrected one of my own extremely simple patterns which in the past I have used to make backgrounds for quilts as you can see in the picture above.
Colour Mix 2005
Going even further back in time to 2005 the above image shows the original quilt I used the pattern for. In the detail below you can see that in that case it was mainly about the embellishment! It seems like forever since I made this one.

This time I'm going for 100 blocks as per the #the100dayproject. I will make one 4.5 x 4.5 (finished size 4" square) block every day which should not take me more than 15 minutes tops from the cutting to the sewing. The only shapes I will use are squares and rectangles. I am using a fabric collection bought as a fat quarter bundle from the Fat Quarter Shop called Driftless, designed by Anna Graham for Robert Kaufman that was already in my stash (now we finally know why we need to have a stash!). The fabric is a mix of linen and cotton. It seems prescient that I bought this bundle long before the present situation we all find ourselves in which is well described by the word DRIFTLESS. I bought it simply because I fell in love with a for me very subdued colourway. Can't wait to see what the finished quilt will look like.

At the moment I'm only thinking as far as making the 100 blocks. They can then be put together with or without sashing, with or without borders,  they can be the finished piece or can be appliqued or beaded. That will be up to you. From the 7th (tomorrow) I will post one block daily on Instagram with a rudimentary cutting and sewing guide. Honestly these blocks are super simple and I would love it if you followed along using your own choice of fabrics. This works in any fabric, patterned or solid, or mix it up! I'm calling my project #isolationquilt so you can follow that hashtag or to see other people's 100 days project, follow #the100dayproject.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails