Monday 1 September 2008

End of Summer Gothic Arch

End of Summer is the theme for the Gothic Arches Challenge this week and indeed it really feels like that here in the Scottish Borders, with lots of showers and it's also getting dark so much earlier already.

As I also needed to make another arch for Linda K, who loves all things French, I concentrated my arch on that place and cut the background from a fabric/paper collage made quite some time ago which uses paper napkins featuring Paris cafes etc. I thought about holiday romances and how the end of the summer usually means the end of the romance too, so I added a paper image of a couple in each other's arms (European Papers) as well as a transparency of a kissing couple (Divasdeste). The text: The end of a summer love affair was added with my Dymo writer. I'm not sure any longer where I got the clock charm but it also says Paris and seemed to go with the theme of End of Summer



To illustrate the story even more I made the above back for the arch, with a paper background overlaid with a French text transparency. The image of the adoring couple is from Altered by Design and the Bonjour text comes from an old calendar with vintage French images. The front and back were adhered to each other by gold zigzag stitching around the edges.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, these two arch are just FAB!! Great work.I really like both!

LynnF said...

Frieda, your work is absolutely stunning! What a great talent you have. I love your arch! Lynn

Sandy said...

Wow wow wow they are fantastic.
Gorgeous design. Love them.

Mary-Beth said...

Stunning work Frieda!! I ove both stories of the arch.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pieces! I love your interpretation!

Tami said...

Such a beautiful summer's end gothic arch, Frieda!! So many layers and pretty colors!
Tami R.

Heather Robinson said...

Oh, there is such angst in these wonderful pieces. I can just feel the emotion behind having to say good-bye to a summer love. Beautiful work as always, my friend.

Rosie said...

What an inspired arch Frieda! You really do excel at the whole cloth, paper, stitching art - fabulous!

Femmy said...

both are fabulous!! love especially the paris one, great colours!!

Anonymous said...

Beide zijn prachtig en zo romantisch.

Moira said...

How clever to think of end of summer as the end of summer romances too. I love the arches here especially the top one so rich and full. I will have to research collage with paper napkins.

Judy said...

Another amazing arch, Frieda, just love the way lots of elements are incorporated in your masterpiece, truly beautiful!
JudyNZ

Faye said...

Amazing collage on the top arch. It's really gorgeous. And the bottom one is very romantic and emotional.

Karen Owen said...

Wow! Frieda, both of these arches are stunning. On the first one, you really captured the theme, and your second arch is so romantic.

Kriss said...

Fantastic! You do such beautiful work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails