Saturday 29 November 2008

Farewell Sweep

It's not been an easy weekend as we had to say goodbye to one of our cats. Sweep took a sudden turn for the worse on Friday. We're not quite sure what happened. He seemed fine first thing in the morning, ate his breakfast but something (the vet thinks it was a stroke or a fit) hit him hard and when John came back from walking the dogs, he found him lying helpless in the kitchen.

Sweep was 16 and 3 months, suffered from kidney failure and was almost completely blind and in fact, survived almost 2 more years than the vet had predicted, but because he was so strong and stayed in charge of all our other animals, we had somehow assumed he would go on for ever. Sadly it was not to be and he was so very ill on Friday and in real distress, that both John and I decided it was simply unfair on him to let him suffer in this way.

I'm not sure how his brother Brush will fare without him. They were brothers and have been together for all of their lives. At the moment he seems to be okay and Troi, our greyhound, loves Brush and treats him as if he is her baby, so fingers crossed.

At the top is a picture of Sweep on my (also lost) quilt Blue Waves. Sweep had a wonderful life with us and he also provided us with lots of love and purrs. Life will seem a lot more empty without him!

6 comments:

gunnelsvensson said...

Oh Frieda, it´s always so sad to miss an animal ! I had also a cat who died at 16 years and I was very sad

So was I without cat in a year and then I got a new little one. She was in a caracccident for a year ago, but she survied, but she has only one eye nowadays, but I love her anyway !!

Jude said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry about Sweep.
Sounds as though he'll be missed by everyone in your family. Take care.

English Rose said...

Oh Frieda, how distressing for you and your husband. After any length of time, they become members of the family, but after 16 years it must be a terrible thing. love and hugs,

creativelenna said...

oh Frieda. I am so very sorry for your family's loss. I imagine Troi will help Brush to feel better, so don't forget to take care of yourself at this time. Hugs to you from across the pond. xo lenna

Sarah Whitmire said...

Oh no. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss Frieda. It is never easy to lose a pet and treasured family member. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

*HUGS*

Sarah

Joanie Hoffman said...

Sweep was a beauty.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Joanie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails