Monday 16 February 2009

My missing quilt


My online friend Tristan Robin Blakeman recently posed a question I get asked very frequently too and to which the answer is: Yes, I still make quilts.

I might be making jewellery, ATCs and other mixed media work but in the background, like a beating heart or a ticking clock my life is punctuated by the quilts I'm working on at any given time. I stitch what is happening in my life at the time, my emotions and yes, I do indeed stitch my soul into my quilts. Which means that it hits me hard when a quilt suddenly disappears as happened exactly 3 years ago today when my Blue Waves quilt was stolen (read all about it here).

When I look at my quilts they instantly transport me back to the time I was creating them and the fact that Blue Waves is no longer there, hurts! In a way my quilts are my life's journal and there is now not just a blank but a black page where Blue Waves used to be.


It would be wonderful if one day I could exhibit the Blue Waves quilt together with its replacement, called Waves of Anger although I tend to refer to it more as Red Waves now. The anger has more or less gone, but sadness remains. If anyone has Blue Waves and wants to send it back to me, my address is on the back and I promise not to ask any awkward questions. I would however be eternally grateful!!

2 comments:

Jude said...

I really, really don't understand people,still, after all these years. I'm sorry about your quilt, it looks lovely and I can understand the pain it causes when you think of it.

Tristan Robin said...

I understand how you feel.

I have the distinction of being the only person to ever have a piece of art stolen from the Yale Art Place.

Even with security cameras and guards, somebody managed to slice the hanging sleeve off one of my quilts and tuck it away without being seen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails