Monday 16 March 2009

Snowdrops

Even though it has been raining on and off today, it's a lot milder and I can smell the kinder weather coming in our direction. Just before they disappear again, I wanted to dedicate a blog post to the snowdrops. They spend a lot of time this year blanketted by snow so we haven't been able to enjoy them as long as usual but I love them while they're about. They are so delicate and elegant and tiny. Also hard to photograph. Some years back I spend a day experimenting with my camera and finally achieved a good picture by putting my camera on the ground underneath the snowdrops and clicking upwards. They look like tree giants from that position!

I've used this photo many times and have also played with it digitally. Above is the picture with neon edges (achieved in Photoshop Elements).

I also used parts of it (printed onto cotton fabric) in one of my earliest Journal Quilts, March 2004, the first year I participated in the JQ Project in Houston. I combined them with spring colours, a lot of hand stitching, couching and beading.

1 comment:

gunnelsvensson said...

I love snowdrops! Your are lovely; both the on the photo and your quilt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails