Monday 8 June 2009

Journal Quilt 2009 May


I mentioned on a previous post that I had finished my May Journal Quilt and here it is, with the addition of more beads. As it was laying on my desk it kept telling me to add more beads before posting, so like a good girl I did!

The Journal Quilts this year for the Contemporary Group of the British Quilters' Guild are sized 6 x 12", and can be either horizontal or vertical or a mix of both. Mine are dedicated to the Edwardian actress Marie Studholme. One of the musical plays in which she played a leading role was Lady Madcap and on this JQ the title of one of the songs from this play is mentioned i.e. "I like you in velvet".

The full text of this lively ditty (a very Edwardian word!) is as follows:

There's a girl I simply dote on, she has no single flaw. A simple skirt and coat on, and sailor hat of straw. And yet she looks more splended, yhan all the world today; She'll soon be my intended, perhaps, that's why I say - It's you I love - Not your frock, your hat, your glove. I like you in velvet, I love you in plush, In satin you are just like your own lovely blush, You're charming in silk, or a plain woollen shawl; but you're simply delightful in anything at all!

For you I have a passion. I cannot sleep or eat; The latest Paris fashion cannot make you more sweet. What ever frock you're dressed in, beside your eyes will pall. I take no interest in your dressmaker at all. It's you I love - Not your frock, your hat, your glove. I like you in velvet, I love you in plush, In satin you are just like your own lovely blush. You're charming in silk, or a plain woollen shawl; but you're simply delightful in anything at all!

If you want to listen to the music (and even sing along if you fancy!) you can find it here.

Somehow I can't help thinking that if this song had been written today the last line would probably read: you're simply delightful in nothing at all! Times have changed out of all recognition since this song was written in 1904 and not necessarily for the better.

Before I start to sound like a female version of Victor Meldrew (UK joke!) back to the JQ.

The background is red velvet, layered with wadding (batting) and machine quilted. I added an image of the lovely Marie from one of my vintage postcards, printed onto iron-on fabric sheet (Crafty Computer Paper). This was sewn on as was the text printed on voile, and the roses (from a commercial fabric). I then added red size 11 seed beads, a decorative rose, 5 vintage pink buttons and one vintage cream button as shown.

The edges were finished with a pink transparent ribbon.

2 comments:

creativelenna said...

This is so lovely, Frieda. I especially like the beaded necklace you gave your Marie! I also enjoy seeing you work on a theme you are so passionate about; it is a very good thing : )

Maggi said...

That is so beautiful, I love the red velvet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails