Friday 3 September 2010

Alter Spread


We've reached lesson 6 of the Collage Coterie Workshop already and this lesson was dedicated to Altered Books as well as to using glazes and embellishments. I stopped myself from starting an Altered Book as I already have too much on my hands at the moment so that will have to wait till some future time.

But I did want to experiment with the glazes as well as make a spread in respond to our prompt for this lesson which was: Alter!

As soon as I read it the Spakespearean quotation: "Love is not love, which alters when it alteration finds" came to mind and that was my guideline for the pages I made. I used a different sketchbook (size 4 1/2" x 8 1/4") as I did not want to make it in my vintage gluebook which is very subdued in colourway and I would like to keep it that way.

I used vintage pages and they were carefully selected to go with the quote. On the right hand side you will see words like: "girl whom I had known was dead" as well as "a sensitive, impressionable little creature" to accompany the lady. On the left page the images go with the story and there is text to go with the gentleman such as "the Kind in his usual dress" and "his face and attitude". Both gentleman and lady come in the shape of a clear tape transfer.
These pages were glazed using Goldon fluid acrylics with the final layer being thinned down white gesso. I added vintage music, and pieces of a vintage map. I punched out a heart shape from a vintage book and added a modern self-adhesive silver dot on top of the heart.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails