Wednesday 25 January 2012

Burns Evening

This seemed a great image to celebrate and I wish all Scots, both home and abroad a good Burns evening tonight. I found this exquisite carving on one of the gravestones in Penicuik today. And for those of you not that familiar with Scotland's most famous poet here is the poem of his I like best:


O, my luve's like a red,red rose,

That's newly sprung in June;

O, my luve's like the melodie

That's sweetly play's in tune.


As fair art thou, my bonie lass,

So deep in luve am I,

And I will luve thee still, my Dear,

Till a' the seas gang dry


Till a' the seas gang dry, my Dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun!
O I will luve thee still, my Dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Though it were ten thousand mile!

3 comments:

Terri said...

Beautiful Frieda! What a lovely carving. The poem is very familiar but I have not read the entire thing before. So thanks for putting it up!
I love your new blog look : )
It is gorgeous!
Hugs,
Terri

Sharne Gregory said...

What a stunning piece of carving and the wonderful colours-very inspiring. Happy Burns night!!

creativelenna said...

Gosh, I do not know which is more beautiful, the carving or the poem! Thanks for copying the poem out, I really enjoyed reading it. : ) lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails