Monday 17 September 2012

Red legged partridge


The above picture was taken yesterday (it was also my blip for that day)  and through the window. John spotted this delightful little bird and immediately knew to call me so that I could blip it. We weren't sure what exactly it was (John was thinking grouse) but within seconds of posting my blip a helpful fellow blipper informed me it was a red-legged partridge and before too long I was fully aware of just how rare this sighting was. It's a beautiful creature and stayed around for quite some time, wandering around and checking out the food situation. This was probably the best picture out of the many I took. It was continually on the move so I had to anticipate where it was going and aim my camera in that direction. 
As if that wasn't enough excitement for one day we also saw this rabbit, which was slightly worrying as our garden is fenced off extensively against them. Not that I don't like them. I do love all animals but they can do immense damage to the flowerbeds so we prefer to admire them from a distance. Somewhere our fence has been breeched or alternatively this one entered when it was a little baby and could get through. And that would mean it can't get out. Whatever it is, we will have to investigate and sort out the problem before the greyhound gets wind of it! Again the picture is taken through the window as you can see. I rather liked the cyclamen in the foreground.

4 comments:

creativelenna said...

what a day for animals at Macbehiell!! Lucky you, that is always fun to see. A most beautiful view you have out your window too!

Jo said...

Thanks so much Frieda, now I know what the little clockwork animals are that keep strafing me when I'm on my bike. Had a great day for animals on the bike the other day biking in from Carnoustie to Dundee, must take camera out. Field mouse nearly took me out that time!

Jo said...

Thanks so much Frieda, now I know what the little clockwork animals are that keep strafing me when I'm on my bike. Had a great day for animals on the bike the other day biking in from Carnoustie to Dundee, must take camera out. Field mouse nearly took me out that time!

Anonymous said...

Rabbits are fun to watch but are very destructive. Just the one partridge, don't they usually travel in groups like most birds? I don't know anything about partridges, so could be wrong.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails