Tuesday 15 January 2013

Another winter's day

It was one of those splendid winter days when the snow is on the ground, the temperature is barely above freezing and the sky is blue. This is how I like it best. We had some intermittent snow showers during the day  but nothing too significant. It was cold though! So cold that some of our bird feeders had frozen. And the forecast is for an even colder night to come. I've finally after many years of struggling to get places in the winter evenings decided that I'm going to be easier on myself. There is no point in risking life and limb (not to mention the car) venturing forth during November, December, January, February and sometimes even March in the evening when it's neigh on impossible to see the ice on the road. Nothing that I've ever gone to see and/or hear has been worth that and I've called a halt on such adventures. I still have vivid memories (call them nightmares and you wouldn't be far wrong!) of such trips in the past and there have been occasions when only the fact that luck was somehow on my side meant I didn't have a serious accident. So no more!!
Hence I'm missing the Peebles Embroiderers' Guild meeting tonight but the lane is like a skating ring and although I would probably make it out without too much trouble, coming back up a steep hill is quite another matter. Instead I adventured around on foot this afternoon in the field next door. In itself also a place where attention needs to be paid, specially as most of it was covered with snow. Any rabbit holes are hidden from view and the only way to discover them is when you step right into one. But as I had my camera to protect I was extra careful! And the reward were some lovely photographic opportunities. The field ends in a row of very mature beech trees. One of them was lost at the beginning of last year in a ferocious gale but the rest are still standing proud and are a delight to the eyes.
And one of the sides of the field, where the old railway line runs on in the direction of West Linton has beautiful views towards the Pentland Hills in the distance, as well as a small wood of mainly evergreens. This last picture was the blip for today!

5 comments:

theresa martin said...

Such beautiful trees!
While you may miss a few events, I agree that staying safe is a bigger priority.

Irene said...

Gorgeous photos. I love the beautiful starkness of the bare trees against the blue sky and hills.

Linda Kunsman said...

Gorgeous scenery Frieda!

creativelenna said...

what a beautiful post about your life in Scotland in the winter! And I am glad to hear that you have decided the risk of ice on a deserted lane at night is just too much, that is very smart of you. We want you safe! sending love & good wishes for more of winter's beauty . . .

Linda said...

We've gotten wintery weather the last few days. Nothing as scenic as your photos. Love the blip photo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails