Thursday 3 April 2014

La Linea d'oro 4 Journal Quilt


Time to show you the latest edition in the series of monthly 8" size journal quilts I'm making this year for the Contemporary Quilt Group. They set the size and also the requirement that a line should go through the journal quilt from side to side. I made the decision to make that line golden as this goes well with the elaborate embellishment I'm adding to all these pieces.

I also made up my mind to put these journal quilts together once they are all done and I am keeping that in mind with every one I'm making. All the JQs are being edged with hand done buttonhole stitch which will provide me with the means to sew them together in due course.

The pieces were started by making a large collection of dotty fabrics using my gelli plate and a variety of circular stencils and sequin waste (punchinello). I made a very large patched background of pieces from all the resulting fabrics using iron-on vilene. Then I selected 8" square pieces I particularly liked compositionally and appliqued on top.

For this particular one I used one large circle. The patched edges were machine satin stitched and then came the fun part: the embellishing with beads and sequins and some hand quilting as well.

2 comments:

massofhair said...

STUNNING Frieda, absolutely stunning:-) xx

theresa martin said...

The colors and details are magnificent. Beautiful work Frieda.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails