Sunday 16 November 2014

12 x 12

You may remember that back at the end of August during the Peebles Arts Festival I met a French photographer called Angela Mejias who had an exhibition of her photographs there. She also popped in to have a look at my 52 Journals exhibition and invited me to take part in an exhibition called 12 x 12. This signifies that all entries including frames, mounts etc. have to be 12 x 12 cm (approx. 5" square). Here are my 2 pieces that will be going in the mail to France very soon. They are both dominated by circles as that is the shape I'm most known for. You will also see that they are closely related to The Documented Life Project page I did for this week. These are just smaller versions. You can read up about the technique there.
Amazingly enough (synchronicity at it's best) I was watching a video this week that used the same straight stitch with beads as you can see in the detail above. I picked it up during my City and Guilds Embroidery course some 20 years ago and love the sense of movement it gives as the beads can move along the thread. Clearly I'm not the only one that likes the idea. 

You will have seen a detail of this piece earlier this week when I was stitching this one. Here I've used reverse appliqué while the piece seen at the top uses straight forward applique.

The exhibition will take place between the 12th December and the 11th January 2015 at Udal Aretoa, Pasaia, (note this website is in Basque) San Pedro, Spain and then between the 24th February and the 14th March 2015 at the Espace Cultural, Mendi Zolan, Hendaye, France. Hendaye is the town twinned with Peebles. This is already the 19th time the exhibition has been taking place, although it's a first for me. I wish I was closer so I could pay a visit but should you be in the area it's worth having a look. As far as I know most if not all pieces will be for sale. Mine are, anyway.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails