Thursday 1 January 2015

Happy 2015


Very best wishes to everyone for this new, exciting year.

One of the things I'm very much looking forward to taking place in 2015 happens on Wednesday the 4th February when 100 artists and 100 patrons will be trying to raise $10.000 for the American Cancer Society. All organized by the American artist Virginia Spiegel who should we succeed (and I have no doubt we will!) will have fundraised an astounding quarter of a million dollars for this great cause over the years. The idea is that she has invited 100 artists to make a piece of art each with a retail value of at least $100. The first 100 patrons who donate $100 dollars to the Amarican Cancer Society via Fiberart For A Cause will each receive one of those pieces of art. Which one that is going to be will be determined by random number generation so it will be a surprise. Looking at the names of the contributing artists one thing is for sure: you will love the art. All the information can be found here or by pressing on The 100 button in the sidebar on the right.
 


I'm showing you glimpses of the piece of art I made here on this blog in anticipation of the big day. My piece called Up in the Air is 8 x 11" and comes with a hanging sleeve. My small A4 journal quilts retail at £125 so this one will go at considerably less for the fundraiser. As you can see it has been embellished lavishly and also incorporates gelli plate painted fabric. I am already looking forward so much to that Wednesday when I will also try and buy one of the other artists' pieces. So exciting! I will be continuing to share glimpses of my piece here over the coming weeks till the big day arrives. You can see a Pinterest board with images of the other art pieces made for this project here: http://uk.pinterest.com/d_boschert/the-100-fundraiser-to-fight-cancer/

Finally I do get asked why the American Cancer Society? Well, it doesn't matter where the research is done to find a cure for this horrible disease. Once found it will help save lives all over the world and that is what is important.

 

2 comments:

Freespiral said...

What a great idea for a fundraiser and your work is looking stunning already. I love the joyful colours. I like the new look blog too :)

Pink Bicycle Girl said...

This is beautiful and a fun way to raise money

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails