Monday 12 January 2015

Only One Day Page

Week 2 of Documented Life 2015 (DLP15) and we are staying with January's theme: The blank page and how to face it. Our art challenge is: gesso, and the prompt for the week: "The beginning is always today" by Mary Shelley. This means the same as the quotation I choose to use by Jean-Paul Sartre and that I mentioned already earlier on the last day of last year: There is only one day left, always starting over. It's given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk".  I started with a layer of gesso on a background of watercolour paper and added acrylic paint in warm colours that can be seen at either dawn or dusk.
To that I added stencilling and stamping as well as the text consisting of words cut from magazines as well as stamped ones.
The image comes from one of my own photographs and I can't even remember whether this was dawn or dusk so it covers both. It was printed for me by Printagram, glued onto the page and further adhered with washi tape. I then used gesso again to spatter across the page. Finally I ussed a variety of black and white markers as well as watercolour brushes to further emphasize some things on the page. It's such a shame that the glittery appearance can't be seen on the pictures. I liberally applied mica sprays for that sparkly effect.

A lovely warming presence in my planner while outside the wind continues to rage. It's wet and cold too, although all the snow has vanished overnight. More to come though, by all accounts.

4 comments:

creativelenna said...

lovely to read more about how you made this . . . my week 2 is yet to come, looking forward!

creativelenna said...

p.s. did I tell you I love the new clean look of your blog page? The header is so colorful and beautiful but the rest easy to see & read!

Jewels said...

Very nice Frieda - love the warm colours!

Linda Kunsman said...

gorgeous page and I also love the quote you have chosen to art with!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails