Sunday 28 June 2015

If

Our last challenge for June was announced on The Documented Life Project 2015. We're still travel journalling (even though I seem to have lost sight of that fact in my spread!), while our art challenge was: photo and words, and the journalling prompt: a picture is worth a thousand words. It was the latter that took me on the road that ended in this spread. For the background I started with Brusho paint powders. I have been reading lots online about a new product called Color Burst and thought it sounded familiar somehow. Eventually I remembered the Brusho powders and began one of those epic searches in my studio eventually resulting in the location of the little box full of powders. It has been in my possession for more than 20 years but the powders were still in excellent condition and worked fine. One thing to remember is that they are water soluble so if you add wet layers such as inks and acrylic paints the colour will move. But it's worth working with them as the colours are so vivid.

The journalling prompt made me think of the song IF, best interpreted (you can't call it singing!) by Telly Savalas (yes, I know, I have mentioned him before and it's because I love the deep sound of his voice, and he didn't half look badly either!). The song starts with the words: "If a picture paints a thousand words", and I enjoyed getting re-acquainted with it. And you know what, I even loved seeing Telly with a cigarette in his hands. Very politically incorrect nowadays but it brought back the 70s so vividly. I might even get some of Telly's CDs (Amazon, here I come). It is honestly pure coincidence that the chap in my image has a bold head ala Telly!

The song was the starting point for finding the imagery I used. All the stencils used in the background are from Stencilgirl, apart from the large triangles. I made that stencil myself for a class in Life Book 2015 I showed here recently.

I used a crackle image stamp designed by France Papillon for Stampotique and a text one (miraculously oh so suitable for our challenge) by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous in the background. I also added a flower patterned paper napkin.

Quite a bit of Pearlescent powder was added for a bit of sparkle and I hope you can see the effects on the above picture.

The call of my Dylusions art journal is very strong in me at the moment and I want to lock myself in the shed and just keep going. In fact when I wake up in the middle of the night I find myself seriously contemplating sneaking in there, grabbing a few stencils and paints and playing away to my heart's content. Perhaps I should simply do it!

 

3 comments:

peggy gatto said...

Gosh I love reading the description of these pages and your memories and then finding paints just waiting for you!!! The joy of being an artist!!!

creativelenna said...

oh, you make me giggle softly under my breath with your last remark! ;O)
I love the recent pages you have been doing, they touch my heart and I can see why you just want to keep going!!

Linda Kunsman said...

This is just SO lovely Frieda!!! That song always has had a special place in my heart, how I love it so and I do have an album -however, it is NOT Telly singing, it is a group called Bread :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails