Sunday 1 May 2016

May Journal Quilt

 A new month means a new Journal Quilt. I'm making these monthly for the challenge on the Contemporary Quilt Group who have set the size at 8 x 10" and also require us to add a piece at least 1/2" large in a specified colour. For the next 4 months that colour is green (and you can see it bottom left.
I have added a further challenge to myself  i.e. to use tartans and tweeds in my journal quilts this year. The background is hand quilted and the pieces of tweed have been appliquéd on, simply by hand stitching. I'm trying to merge them into the background that way.  As you can see there are 3 layers of appliqué, one on top of each other. Although the fabrics I'm using might be traditional the methods are not and there are lots of raw edges adding to the texture of the journal quilts. I'm also trying to make them look folksy which is proving more difficult that I had anticipated.
 Some of the fabrics I'm using come from LochCarron Woollen Mills
Lots of embellishment form the final layer of the piece in the form of size 11 seed beads and vintage buttons.

1 comment:

Digitalgran said...

I love these little quilts. They are lovely and textured and so very different.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails