Tuesday 4 October 2016

October Journal Quilt

I'm making these small (8 x 10") journal quilts for the challenge on the Contemporary Quilt Group. They set the size and also the requirement to have a small (1/2" square) piece of a specific colour on our pieces. For the last 4 months of this year that colour is orange. Perhaps that is what inspired the autumnal look of this quilt.
 I set myself the challenge to use tartans and tweeds on my pieces, coming mainly from the Lochcarron Woollen Mill in Selkirk as well as from Fabric Affair.
I used unconventional raw edge appliqué with hand stitching to make the pieces adhere and almost melt into each other. All the journal quilts I make this year have a folksy look about them which was harder to achieve than I imagined. There is a lot of hand stitching as well as beading with size 11 seed beads and embellishing with vintage buttons. The binding is done using ShweShwe fabric from the African Fabric Shop.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails