Friday 12 May 2017

Colour is Everything

The prompt on Joggles Art Journal Adventures was: use colours outside of your comfort zone. I'm pretty at ease with all colours but browns and purples are ones I seldom feature. No idea why, especially as they work so well together specially combined with that dark blue I have also put on the pages.
 I'm working in a small 6 x 8" notebook. The pages are quite flimsy so I glue them together in pairs and also start each lay-out with a hefty doze of gesso. On this spread the next step was to collage with vintage images and text as well as wrapping and scrapbook paper. The background was done by adding Distress Crayons and fluid acrylic paint combined with stencil S191Open Buildings designed by Carolyn Dube for Stencilgirl Products. I love this stencil for it's incredible versatility and this is not the first time you have seen me using it.
I added rubber stamping with a colour wheel stamp, part of the third stamp set  designed by Everything Art for Paper Artsy. It seemed a good match with our prompt. Even better was the text I came upon in a magazine just as I was making this spread, and it is so appropriate too, because to me colour is indeed everything.
I added more details by stencilling in white paint using the same stencil as mentioned above. The postage stamps were added to match the pages colour wise, and as a finishing touch I sprayed on the outline of squares with Brusho Acrylic Shimmer Spray Bronze and stencil S414 Grid Outline 6 by 6, also by Stencilgirl Products and designed by it's owner MaryBeth Shaw. It's subtle but very effective sparkle on the pages as you can just see above.
 I truly don't know why I don't use these colours more often as together they sing.

3 comments:

peggy gatto said...

The layering is perfection. I do like the subtle color patterns!

creativelenna said...

I really like these colors together too, Frieda. Plus your collage works sings!

Bonnie Irvine said...

When I stop and think about it, this is not a colour combination I use either but I absolutely love it so I thank you for opening up the possibilities of this palette. As always, I love the discovery process when looking at your art. There are layers and surprises that delight. You are talented and inspiring, Frieda!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails