Saturday 8 September 2018

Colour Waves

My quilt Colour Waves recently returned from the Great Northern Quilt Show, held in Harrogate last weekend with, as you can see below, a red rozette, signifying a Judge's Merit. Always a wonderful surprise.
This quilt came about by pure accident. I was considering recycling my very old and large computer. It had not been used for many a moon (probably years) but still was the only gadget in the house that has Electric Quilt installed. I can't install it on my new laptop as that has no CD drive and my old lap top simply has no space. So I was thinking if I really wanted to hang on to the computer, just to keep Electric Quilt handy. I opened the beast and had a look at all my saved quilt designs.

Of late I have been back to designing with a squared notebook and pencil and it works well for me (as it did before computer design took over) because it gives me time to think while I draw away. However some things are just so much more simple with software like Electric Quilt and a quilt featuring oval shapes in a variety of sizes is definitely one of those.

In the sidebar you can see the Blue Waves quilt that started off my series of oval wave shaped quilts. I had thought I was finished with them after all this time but I suddenly got the impulse to make a more modern version using my treasured collection of Tula Pink fabrics.

And here it is! The quilt is hand and machine pieced (using computer designed templates), hand and machine quilted, hand embroidered and embellished with size 11 seed beads. It measures 44.5 x 76.25" or 113 x 178cm. I think this will now definitely be my very last version in this series of quilts and the computer itself is on the way out!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails