Saturday 16 November 2019

Classic Jumper

Not much knitting is done by me any more although it's how I started my crafty life many years ago. I believe I was still around 5 or 6 when I learned how to knit from the older sister of a school friend. After that I did a lot of it till working life took over. I took some gorgeous knitting classes back in the early eighties but then I started a City & Guild Course in Embroidery so knitting started to take second and then third place (once I became an art quilter).

So when I started to destash my books, many of my knitting books went to other, more loving homes but I kept a few of them, because I could simply not bear to part from them. One of those was Marion Foale's Classic Knitwear; a beautiful collection of 30 original patterns, published back in 1985. I still remember how much I wanted this book and how happy I was to get it. So it stays on the shelves but I felt it had to then earn it's place and last winter I chose the Classic Jumper pattern (in 4 ply) and made it using a variegated yarn. The finished pieces stayed in my knitting basket over the summer as I couldn't wear it (pure wool) at that time but now that this winter is upon us I got my skates on (not literally!) and sewed it together. This is the result and I love it.

So much so that I have now started this winter's project and it is the sweater from the same book, called Schooldays, also in 4 ply and pure wool. I'm using the same yarn but in a different variegated colour way. Whenever I start knitting again I wonder why I stopped. It's just so relaxing! And I love the results.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails