Sunday 4 March 2007

Eclipse of the Moon


A pretty poor picture but I have to tell you how much I enjoyed seeing the eclipse last night. It was a perfectly clear although very cold night, with all the stars clearly visible. The moon slowly disappeared and turned a bronze colour as the earth moved to block out the sun. I had all lights in the house switched off, and as we live deeply in the country the only light came from the sky. The moon turned slowly red with a sort of halo around it. Just stunning. Like looking into infinity. Seeing the universe like that, is at the same time an awesome, amazing sight but I also find the idea we are all spinning in space frightening too. Only a small thing has to go wrong and it will be all over. Standing in my backyard, I wondered if there were other beings out there asking the same questions on another place. The whole event simply took my breath away!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails