Saturday 4 August 2007

More cross influence between my quilts and my garden

I want to show you another exemple of how my quilts have influenced my garden here in Macbiehill. This quilt, called Circles of Entrapment, was finished in 1998 and won the First Prize for Geometric Quilts in the Scottish Quilt Championships, Perth, 1998. Although I was not really aware of it at the time I made it, the original design came from my subconscious mind and Kandinsky's Concentric Circles was the source for it. I am particularly fond of the early Abstract painters in Europe at the beginning of the 20th Century, and love the work of all the artists who were part of the Blue Rider group in Germany. I loved making this quilt with it rainbow of colours.

At the time I made the quilt our garden was only a field, with a tiny little flower bed at the front of the house. The rest was all grass and weeds gone mad. Today it is a haven of tranquillity and at the same time a riot of colour. Just check out this hanging basket and you'll see how the quilt influenced the colours in the basket. As with my quilts so also with my baskets and I am of the strong opinion that more is more, and if in doubt, add some more colours if you can!! Now I'm taking photographs in the garden which in turn will find their way back into the quilts and mixed media work I do today. Life is a lovely journey, going around in circles all the time!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails