Friday 2 November 2007

The moment of revelation: Journal Quilt 2007 for Houston


This is it then, my Journal Quilt 2007. It seems like ages since I made it and also since I mailed it but apparently it's now safely being displayed at the Houston Quilt Show. Here is the write-up I wrote to go with it:

Title: Journal Inchies

Creative Quilting techniques used: using buttons (p. 35); beading (p.71); using paper (p. 242)

The Journal Quilt project in which I started participating in 2004 was the beginning of my journey into mixed media and ever smaller work as a light relief from my very large quilts. From journals I graduated to fabric postcards, to Art Squared (small mixed media pieces 4 or 5” square), to Artist Trading Cards and lately Inchies. Inchies are quite simply art made on a 1” square and I’m just amazed how much you can fit on such a small surface. The Journal Quilt project has also been the source of many opportunities for me. I give talks about my journals here in the UK and have been selected to judge a competition on journals for the Scottish Region of the British Quilters’ Guild next Spring.

This year I’m also participating in making journals (12 this time for every month of the year) for the Contemporary Group of the Quilters Guild of the British Isles. I wanted to tie these in with my Journal Quilt for Houston. For the British JQs I made fabric/paper collages for every month of the year. These figured the history of the name of the month, folklore and old wives’ tales associated with it and significant events taking place during the month. For the Contemporary Group I then scanned these collages into my computer and printed them out on fabric to make the actual JQs but for this Journal Quilt I used inchies cut from the actual collage. I made sure I featured the name of every month at least once on an inchie and tried to make a harmonious whole out of all the inchies. They literally provide a glimpse into the year.

They are mounted with machine stitching on a brown, pre-pleated cotton fabric and I beaded around each inchie, using a suitable colour and size 11 seed beads. I added vintage buttons that were soaked in a strong coffee solution and painted with copper acrylic paint. Finally I did what I have done for all my journal quilts; I beaded along the edge of the binding.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful piece of art - wish I could have been there to see it up close.
Fiona

Lynne said...

Oh wow, it's stunning and such a clever use of inchies.

gunnelsvensson said...

This quilt is very beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

This is a stunning work of art, Frieda!!! I love your work and I whope that you will post more of your Journal work for us to drool over!! You are going to be one busy girl in the upcoming months as everyone wants to experience your talents! I wish that i could see this piece in person!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Patti G. said...

ABSOLUTELY stunning Frieda! What a lot of work and heart went into this! I just love it!I love the thought of all the people looking at your quilt at the show! Just know, since I have attended a show in Chicago, that it is a truly inspirational experience for the viewers to see these in real life! I always am in AWE and it just inspires me to come home and exrpess myself! Hugs,Patti

Nikki said...

I love each of the little squares -- so much detail to explore and discover. Beautiful!!! I would love to see this in person.

Anonymous said...

Another WOW, here. Wonderful detail in so many tiny wonders.

Anonymous said...

Hi Frieda,
I was lucky enough to see your work in person at festival. It is a beautiful piece! I found your blog while searching for something else but decided to post to let you know I admired your work.

Anonymous said...

you never cease to amaze me with your powerful talents. this is spectacularly gorgeous, woman!

creativelenna said...

Frieda . . . you do amaze me! I somehow missed this post earlier and I am glad I found it. I can't tell you (why yes I can!) how much I adore the way you create your fabric & paper collages, copy them to use for JQs or whatever, so they are one smooth surface but then go and use bits of the original artwork here, as for this. It just tickles me the way your fabric art is so related, if you know what I mean. What an awesome idea. Congratulations too on being selected to judge on competition! : )))) lenna

Patti G. said...

STUNNING STUNNING STUNNING Frieda!!!!!!
All of your fabric art touches my heart! And your inchies are amazing as well!! Oooooooooo I am so proud to say I know you! You are a star!
Hugs,Patti

Cat said...

A year and 3 months later... I am looking at this same beautiful quilt in "Quilting Arts Magazine" and I absolutly love the endless appeal.

I am going to try a simple attempt at an album quilt using 24 2" squares of pictures from the past.

You are an astounding artist!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails