Sunday 25 November 2007

Sepia and White pages for Debby's Album

These pages have been in the pipeline for quite some time. I started collecting white and sepia items as soon as I knew Debby had chosed this as her theme colours for her album in our TipTopJournals Round Robin. Working without colour is really hard for me so I knew I had to pay special attention!

She also loves all things vintage so I used some of my collection of vintage images to illustrate the story I've tried to tell with these pages.

On page 1 is an actual cabinet card which I found in a yummy 2nd hand bookshop locally. I made holes into the 4 corners using my Crop-a-Dile and used brads from Artchix to attach it to the background, which is a pre-quilted white fabric I received from Peggy, another of the TipTopArtists as a gift some time ago. Doesn't the boy look lovely in his grown-up suit. He grew up to be an outback, however, as can be seen in the fabric image on the top right which he is pictured with his gun. I printed Destination on a transparency and sewed it down with machine. The outback figure is mounted onto a piece of vintage lace which was first sewn onto the background. Finally I added sepia coloured lace at the bottom and some vintage buttons alongside him. The flower trims (bought during a visit to a hugely tempting habedashery shop in Utrecht, The Netherlands) were attached with buttons and I also beaded around the edges of the outback figure.
For the second page I used the same background and again mounted vintage lace onto the centre of the page with machine. I added the vintage butterfly shaped lace on top by machine and beaded on top of it. I added the image of our outback with his mother, which I had printed out onto canvas. I added beads around this as well as well as a flowertrim as before. I added the quotation from Vincent van Gogh (I think this was a gift from Lenna!) and the Vellum piece about dress goods (from Altered Pages). To unite the 2 pages I also used the sepia lace on the bottom of this page.

Finally I sewed both pages onto the paper pages of the 8x8 7Gypsies album we're all using by machine using zig-zig stitch and at the same time couching down a sepia wool yarn. I made holed, again with my Crop-o-Dile (I do LOVE this machine!) so Debby can add the pages to her album the minute she receives them in the mail!

Despite the fact that I miss colour I have to admit that using a reduced colour scheme gives a lot of unity to these pages!

3 comments:

gunnelsvensson said...

oh, these pages are so beautiful! Wonderful!

Kate North said...

These are lovely pages, Freida, though I, like you, have a hard time working without colour. I love the results though, so perhaps it's something I should try more!

Debby said...

Frieda these pages speak vintage and all things beautiful. Just what I wanted. WOW!!!! I love them and can hardly wait for them to arrive to touch and study. I loved reading about how you made the pages and the story.
Thanks my friend. They are perfect!

Hugs,
Debby

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails