Monday 31 March 2008

Asian Gothic Arch


Our theme this week for the Gothic Arches Challenge is Asian. After teaching my fabric ATC class yesterday I was really in the mood to work on some fabric myself so this arch is entirely made using my most favourite art material!

The background is a black/gold fabric which I ironed onto Fast2Fuse (following the manufacturers' instructions). I machine quilted this with gold thread and then selected 2 other Japanese themed fabrics. Using Bondaweb (Wonderunder in US) I selected 3 female images from one fabric and a large flower image + 2 flower buds from another one and ironed on the Bondaweb. I cut out the images and ironed them on to the background and also stitched around their edges with gold thread. I added beads on one of the ladies and also in the centre of the large flower. I found some Chinese lettering and cut out one and added that at the top. No idea what it actually says but hopefully it's something lovely! I added red German Scrap at the bottom edge and ironed another Oriental fabric onto the other side of the Fast2Fuse to form the backing. Finally I finished the remaining edges with gold satin stitching.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous again!!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful work.

Femmy said...

again a fantastic arch!!

Sandy said...

Wow this is a wonderful arch. Great design.

vintage wil said...

very beautiful work!!!

Anonymous said...

Wouahhhh ! which beautiful artwork ! lovely

http://truutske.blogspot.com said...

This is a really incredible arch.
Love your work.

Judy said...

Beautiful, Frieda, lovely to see an arch created with different materials!
JudyNZ

~*~Patty S said...

Absolutely stunning arch Frieda!!! I bet it is fantastic to touch too!

Rosie said...

Frieda that's an exquisite arch! It's so dainty and detailed... I love how you share your process with us and the stitching is so delicate - fabulous.
Thanks for your comment about the albums... it was very thoughtful of you!

*jean* said...

Frieda, your work is wonderful!! I love your gothic arch!

Wiggles Towers said...

Fantastic Arch xx

Jacqueline said...

The work you have put into this is amazing and what a beauty it has become - especially that gold weaved background - with the red coloured images on the foreground - wow!

Vintage Papers said...

this is fabulous! you never cease to amaze me with your gorgeous details! A true work of art!!!

carylsrealm said...

Stunning Frieda!

Janny said...

So beautiful again;o)

NETTI said...

This is one of the loveliest creations I have seen - just superb!

Debby said...

this is so beautiful. love it.
debby

Karen Owen said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your work on fabric never ceases to amaze me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails