Saturday 18 October 2008

Fly Away Collage


As promised I'm continuing my translations of my article in the ARTspecially for You Magazine. This time I'm concentrating on the first piece I made with the fabric paper collage made in the previous post. Start by cutting a 20 cm (approx. 8") square from that fabric paper collage and put it down on a piece of white felt of the same size. Sew the two pieces together along the edges by machine with transparent thread. Add the image of the lady (from one of my own vintage postcards and printed out by computer on paper) as well as the 3 bird transparencies (from Alphastamps Parrots sheet) and sew them on in positions as shown. Add the text I want to fly (made with a Dymo writer on transparent, self-adhesive tape) and sew this next to the words Fly Away that formed part of the original fabric paper collage.

Make the background (30 square cm or 12" square) from a sandwich of cream fabric, wadding (batting) and calico (muslin). Quilt this sandwich using one of the decorative stitches on your sewing machine. Put the piece made above on top and in the centre of this sandwich and sew down using a satin stitch on your sewing machine. Add size 11 seed beads in a variety of colours along this edge by hand.

Stamp birds (from Cavallini's Birds and Nests box of stamps) 14 times onto a transparency using black Staz-On ink and cut them out. Sew them along the background as shown reversing them 7 times so that the birds face in the right directions.

Finally by hand and using a variegated thread add buttonhole stitch along all the outside edges of the piece.

2 comments:

creativelenna said...

Thank you so much for sharing this really wonderful article, Frieda. It is so well described. Makes me want to run to my studio and try this technique again! The first time I tried it was fun and I loved the results, but now i see some ways I can improve my fabric collage making : )))) thank you!!! xo lenna

Mary Z said...

beautifully done as always Frieda -thank you for the tutorial!
Mary Z

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails