Monday 31 August 2009

More lilies


It's always a race against time to see if these white lilies are going to have time to display their beautiful blooms.

The white ones flower later than the pink lilies, which I showed on an earlier blog and if we have an early nightfrost here in the Scottish Borders (and that has happened more than once in previous years) we only see the buds and they sort of wither away without coming out.

But this year, despite having more rain in August than since records began, it has not been cold so the lilies duely opened up and I immediately grabbed my camera to take a picture while they were still bathed in their pristine whiteness. When the rain hits them the yellow pollen starts to stain the petals and although that too can look lovely, I preferred to take this shot without the yellow.

These flowers really light up the courtyard, even during yet another dark downpour!

2 comments:

Maggi said...

How beautiful! I'm so glad you got a chance to photograph them!

creativelenna said...

absolutely gorgeous, frieda. I can almost smell them! my favorite is the star gazer : ) lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails