Saturday 19 June 2010

Garden Party


I went to a lovely garden party in Edinburgh today, dressed in a floral skirt. You don't often see me in a skirt, floral or otherwise, but floral was our theme. We were so lucky with the weather as it got more and more sunny as the day went on. We all brought savouries and sweets for lunch, sat in the garden, and talked quilting non-stop. It was the final meeting before our summer break, of the Thistle Quilters and we handed over our challenge pieces. I'll write about mine in more depth in another blogpost and show you a picture in the very near future.

I enjoyed seeing the lovely garden (with a stunning summerhouse, now there's a thought!) and could not help noticing how far ahead even Edinburgh (only some 12 miles away) is compared to Macbiehill. The roses were already out and in full bloom. No sign of that here yet although the buds have started to appear. But other things such as the lupins have suddenly opened up and are putting on a marvelous show. It's like all of a sudden the plants nudge each other to get on and make hay while the sun shines or in other words start flowering now that it's lovely and warm. Lupins are John's favourite blooms which is why we have rather an army of them but they truely are lovely. Pink and pale blue (those are Jacob's Ladder) is not a colour combination that I find particularly attractive, really too cute, but in this case I'm prepared to make an exception.

I have also started a new project (no, it's not spring cleaning, I'm not that daft!!) and joined The Sketchbook Project and will write more about that and maybe ask for your help, also in the next few days. What I said some posts back is still true.: I'm doing rather too much living and my blog can't keep up. Not a bad complaint to have, really. Hopefully I will be able to catch up soon but for now I'm back to our own garden to enjoy the sun some more!

5 comments:

creativelenna said...

can you believe Frieda, oh of course you can!! I joined the sketchbook project a few weeks ago, have my long moleskin journal but have not started yet! I meant to tell you (I didn't, did I??) and now we are both going to do it, wow. There is that serendipity visiting us again. What is your theme? Mine is "this is not a sketchbook".
Your party sounded wonderful! wish I could have attended! : ) lenna

peggy gatto said...

Oh How I love seeing flowers!!!
Thank you again!

Unknown said...

My sketchbook arrived today!!! Very exciting (and daunting too). Can't wait to get going. Finally finished all the painting in the studio - just moving it all back now :( And the studio is 3m shorter so have 12m2 less space. Oh dear!!!

Margaux Lashbrook said...

I'm with John, Lupins are one of my favourite flowers too, and I am hoping when I finally get my own garden, rather than the shared one I currently have with my flat, that I will be able to grow them.

It was a lovely day in Edinburgh, but I am a bit worried that I am leaving this all behind for less sunny and colder Aberdeen. I will just have to find some hardy flowers.....

Ann Flowers said...

What an incredible blossom. I am not at all familiar with this plant, but it sounds like one I would like to get to know better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails