Tuesday 23 November 2010

Traquair House gates


The forecast is for snow so I decided to have a little expedition to take another photograph for the A Million Little Pictures project while the roads are still clear.

My theme for this fun Arthouse Coop project is Captured in Time and the closed gates of Traquair House fit this perfectly. These gates have been closed since 1744 after a visit by Bonnie Prince Charlie when the Earl of Traquair vowed that they would never be opened again until a Stuart king was crowned in London. As this hasn't come to pass yet, the gates remain closed. They are called the Bear gates and you can see why on the photograph.
I have visited Traquair House many times. It's the oldest continually inhabited house in Scotland and has been in the same family since 1491. They still own and live in it. There is a wonderful collection of embroideries on show in the house which is one of the main attractions as far as I'm concerned although the whole house is definitely worth seeing.
The picture above has been taken with my digital camera as of course the film in the disposable camera won't be developed till I've taken all 27 shots but I have tried to take the picture exactly the same so it should be a close approximation!

2 comments:

creativelenna said...

This is fascinating to me, frieda. I hope you might take me there!! xo

Petra said...

It is a lovely place to visit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails