Saturday 26 February 2011

Fantasy Journal Quilts


Time to reveal my final piece of good news and as you can see above my pair of Journal Quilts on the theme of Fantasy have won the 1st Prize in the JQ travelling competition. If you're in the U.K. you can see them at the Grosvenor Show Spring Quilt fairs and their final appearance will be at the Malvern Quilt Show.

Sadly I won't be able to be there for the prize giving ceremony as I'll be at the Loch Lomond Quilt Show which is on during the same weekend and where I am exhibiting 3 quilts in the 30 of the Best exhibit as well as a special project quilt for the upcoming book about 10 Scottish quilters, which will be published in 2012. So it was with even more pleasure that I viewed all the JQs today. I made 4 Journal Quilts for the competition (we had to make at least one pair to participate) and I will be returning to all 4 JQs in more detail in the very near future on this blog, I promise! But their inspiration was provided by some of the pages in the Vintage Gluebook I made last year!
As for my shopping spree, isn't it amazing how when you have money you can't find anything to buy but on the other hand if you don't want to spend much, you almost fall over all the gorgeous things you MUST have. Very strange. Anyway I did buy some items, but really only things I really needed such as 3 different sorts of machine needles and something to clean my iron (that should give you some idea of how badly I treat it, as I buy this almost anytime I see it for sale somewhere). A cake slice pack of batiks was my only indulgence. Such a good girl and now, what shall I do with the money I haven't spend??!!

10 comments:

theresa martin said...

Congrats Frieda! These are both so lovely.

Sharon W. said...

frieda: what a tragedy! you must forego being at one awards ceremony because you are attending another? EEEEEK. This certainly has been a wonderful week for you, and I hope it is just a hint of wonderful things to come.

creativelenna said...

I know, I think you should do some online shopping with that unspent money! MMMM, a cake slice of batiks sound so yummy!
Huge congratulations to you on all these prizes, Frieda. The JQs are so lovely. And in a book for some of your other quilts, wow. Big hugs!!!
xo lenna

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I saw them IRL at Ingliston on Friday - atmospheric, gorgeous and most definitely covetable.

Maggi said...

Wowowowowowow, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is awesome news!

Georgina said...

It was through your Venetian Journal Quilts, that I first purposefully committed your name to memory! You are an inspiration! Congratulations on a deserved win - I shall be joining the hovering crowds at Malvern to enjoy a few moments savouring the detail.
Not too sycophantic I hope!!

Cathy said...

Congratulations to you, Frieda!!!!

What honors your are collecting, it must give you such a fabulous feeling of accomplishment!!!

I always love visiting your blog, such artsy beauty & happy times!

Frieda Oxenham said...

Wow, thanks so much, eveyone, for the wonderful and much appreciated comments! I could kiss you all.

Thelma said...

Congratulations Freda! Such lovely pieces of art.

Terri said...

These two journal pages are amazing! So fanciful and creative, I love them both. Congratulations to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails