Tuesday 1 March 2011

I keep reflecting and meet an old friend

We had arranged to have lunch with our neighbours today and that gave me a very lovely break from all the ongoing upset regarding my exhibition. I promise the details are coming, probably tomorrow. I have no idea why but eating a huge sweet, something I wouldn't normally indulge in, full of whisky, cream and raspberries has a very soothing effect on the soul despite the effects it might have on the hips.

The environment we dined in was also delightful as we went to Cringletie House hotel, situated on the A703 between Peebles and Edinburgh. It's an old baronial house as you can see on the picture further down.
One of the reasons I was keen to go there when they mentioned it, is because one of my quilts was sold to the owners of the hotel some 7 or so years ago and I hadn't seen it since. It's shown above as it is hanging in their coffee room. The quilt is called Salty Twists and was originally made for an exhibition at the Dutch Salt Musuem, so it's rather appropriate that it's ended up in a hotel and even more so as the owners are themselves Dutch.
They have hung it beautifully, out of the full light, with just a gentle spot highlighting it from the top. It was still in excellent condition as a result. Being reunited with it was like meeting an old friend after many years.

The hotel is situated in beautiful grounds too and after lunch we had a wander around the walled garden and admired the snowdrops as well as the stunning views in all directions. The Scottish Saltire (flag) was flying for us too.


And you might by now be wondering about the picture at the top. On our table there was a very unusual table decoration. A glass bowl was filled with water into which 3 lilies were floating. Of course I could not resist taking a picture and never realized at the time that I was also incorporating myself and my camera as well as the windows. You have to have a pretty close look to capture all that and you can see the picture large before too long on the Blipfoto site.
So there I was reflecting in the reflection! I do sometimes wish I could switch off my thoughts even if just for an hour or so!!

3 comments:

arts4all said...

Whiskey, cream, and raspberries might be the new magic medicine! I know you're unhappy right now, but just had to chuckle about your miraculous dessert 'cure' at the hotel luncheon. Bet it was fun to see your quilt friend again, and it is beautifully displayed indeed.

Terri said...

Lovely! Seeing your quilt there must have been really something!
I am hoping that the issues with the museum work out well and soon.
I have enjoyed catching up on your post.
Hugs,
Terri

Christine said...

How strange - we were there today! The chocolate fondant was just as good a restorative. But I wish I'd known about your quilt. Damn. We'll just have to go back again!
Congratulations on your win at Ingliston - the Tweeddale Quilters delegation all admired them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails