Monday 5 September 2011

Cogito, ergo sum



Another spread in my upright Moleskine journal and I keep forgetting to mention the size. It's 5 x 8.1/4". The whole spread was inspired by the Buddha quotation stamp on the right hand page which reads: " All that we are, is the result of what we have thought". As you can see, that certainly made me think and I moved from that to the Cogito, ergo sum (I think, therefore I am). You can read my ruminations on the pages, but I have to be honest and tell you that I wrote more but have hidden it under all that black tape on the left hand page. There is definitely such a thing as being too frank and this one was not for public consumption. Seeing the tape will hopefully remind me of what I actually wrote there.


Instead I covered the tape with a piece from a very old (mid 19th Century) book about thinking and to my amusement it says: " When thou walkest, musing with thyself, in the green aisles of the forest, utter thy thinkings aloud, that they take a shape and being". I agree with the principle but the practice might lead to unexpected consequences such as being considered stark raving mad!


The face stamp is from Cherry Pie Stamps and the circle one from Dylusions ( called, Around the Edge). I made two faces looking each one looking in opposite directions (a bit like the Roman god Janus) by stamping one face on some painted waxed paper (this was originally only done to test out the stamp) and then glueing that wrong way up (it's transparent) next to the other stamped face on the page. As you can see I made the spread on the 17th August and have only just found a niche for posting it here.

1 comment:

creativelenna said...

i love the pink colour shades, Frieda and the fact that you wrote to your hearts content and then covered some of it up. What a grand idea! Always love seeing your art journal workings! xo lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails