Saturday 2 March 2013

Vintage Rose Wallhanging


I've been  telling you in an earlier post that I am enjoying doing online video classes now that we have finally reached the online world via broadband and how I made a wallhanging for Lenna's birthday using the Step-Down Piecing method as explained by Sarah Fielke in her book Quilting from Little Things and shown in her Craftsy class Big Techniques from Small Scraps. It took me only a day or so to make a 21" wallhanging and it was freeing to just play with fabric without having to put my head in gear and design. So after I finished it I was quite keen to do it again. 

The opportunity arose when I was the happy (make that ecstatic) winner of one of the give aways on Terri Heinz's blog Artful Affirmations. The bracelet is beyond beautiful and on the theme of Joie de Vivre so that I can reaffirm that message to myself every time I wear it, which has been more or less non stop since it arrived. You can see the beautiful pictures Terri took of it on her blog giveaway here.

I was so overcome with Terri's generosity of spirit that I wanted to make her something. I know she shares my taste for vintage and also for tea, and more in particular teacups. She is always on the hunt for ever more beautiful examples and posts them on her blog on Tuesdays. I thought she might like something to tone in with that.
So I grabbed all my rose fabrics and started cutting and I combined them with that red striped vintage French ticking to make the above wall hanging. I'm so pleased to say that it arrived safely with Terri and she used it in the background of her very next Tuesday teacup show. You can see it there by clicking on this link.

Isn't it stunning to see how different this version looks to Lenna's one. This Step Down Piecing is a very versatile technique and once you've mastered it it opens a world of opportunities to play with fabric! My favourite occupation that.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful! It sure does make me think of old china

Terri said...

Hello Frieda. I do so love this quilt hanging you made for me! I feel so blessed! Just knowing your hands worked on this beautiful piece makes it so valuable to me. I will treasure it always.
I agree with Linda above, the quilt reminds me of china too! How perfect is that!
Thank you again : )
So much...
Terri

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails