Sunday 17 August 2014

Delicious Dahlia Day

Today was the last garden open on one specific day in our area and it was one of my favourites called Culter Allers in Coulter, Lanarkshire. We have been here many times before, starting way back in 1996 or 1997, not sure which, when we were here with John's mother. This is the garden that started my love of dahlias, spurred on by her. Not that the rest of the garden isn't attractive but the dahlias steal the show.

As you can see the garden is very colourful and lovely. We were lucky as the rain stayed away although it was very windy which did interfere with the photography at times.

Culter Allers is a late Victorian baronial house (the house itself isn't open) that has maintained its traditional one acre walled kitchen garden where one half is dedicated to fruit and vegetable and the other half (my favourite) to flowers. We were mainly out of the wind in the garden and when the sun came out occasionally it was even warm. You can see pictures of our previous visits here and here and also here.

I remembered this rustic seat from previous times but noticed this time how beautifully it framed the blue flowers behind.

And then there are the dahlias, They have a large bed at the back of the walled garden to themselves and what a colourful display they put on there. So stunning. I can't help myself and have to click away even though I have pictured these beauties many times before. They are just such a delight.

I'm as you know a lover of colour but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate white flowers just as much.

And although I love the big, blowsy dahlias best I am also attracted to these smaller pompom models.

White can be pure perfection!

Love the pink tentacles.

Another pompom dahlia and this was the one that stole my heart today. Sorry I don't have any names for you (or for myself for that matter!). There were no labels on show.

Finally there were some adorable butterflies about, mostly resting against the warm wall in the garden but some were also feeding on the flowers. I always find them quite flighty creatures to capture in a photograph but all of these stayed obligingly still for me.

I am very bad at identifying butterflies, but love seeing them so mayby next summer I should try and get to grips with their names, specially as they get blipped by other people all the time so notes will be taken!

We had the best tea out of all our garden visits this year and for once I decided to cancel the evening meal and indulge. Sadly it was no longer served in the house itself as it had been in previous years but instead in the stables and to John's delight we were seated next to a vintage Bentley! I'm not a car person myself but I have to admit it had very sleek lines and I could have fancied a trip in it.

 

2 comments:

peggy gatto said...

Oh my what treasures you shared, I thank you!!!!

creativelenna said...

Frieda, what a beautiful place. So delightful. The gardens, the dahlias, the rustic bench....I can definitely see you using that pattern in your art!! So glad you got to visit again and thank you for sharing that beauty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails