Saturday 9 August 2014

Pine Cone

As I mentioned in my post yesterday we picked up a large pine cone sliced in half by the mower during our walk in Dawyck. This was the first time I had ever seen the inside of a cone. It had never before occurred to me to slice one in half to see what was hidden inside.
It proved to be quite interesting and also very colourful. As you can see from the spikes on the outside of the cone (seen above) this cone must have fallen from the tree concerned quite some time ago as the spikes are getting a bit brown and on the inside too, decay has started to get a grip.
What surprised me most was how colourful the inside proved to be. There were all shades of brown but also pink.
I was very taken by the beauty of it specially when I placed it inside a blue glass container as seen above. I'm going to see what happens when I leave it be.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails