Friday, 1 May 2015

Derelict Journal Quilt

It's that time again. A new month has started and I have made another small (6 x 12") for the Contemporary Quilt Group. By the way, if you follow that link to the group you will see one of my previous journal quilts featured (Polkadots) and that's the first time I tried out making text the main feature of a journal quilt. The Contemporary Quilt Group set the size for this year, and I decided to use words for my journal quilts as the main feature. Dereliction is inspired by the DerelictThursday project on the Blipfoto site where every Thursday we tried to capture an image of dereliction and decay. I started participating on the 5th February (you can see the picture here) and I have re-used that picture here. Spoonflower printed it onto a fat quarter for me.
I cut that image into strips and inter weaved it with a toning hand dye. The result was machine quilted and I then added the green letters which were cut on a Brother Scann'Cut machine, Bondawebbed on and embellished with small size 15 seed beads.
Vintage (but not derelict!) buttons were sewn on and more beads (this time size 12) were added along the binding.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails