Tuesday 2 June 2015

Fragments Journal Quilt

After the dog walk this morning I was only too pleased to be able to retire to my studio! Even the dog didn't enjoy it much. My finger even hovered over the On switch of the heater, but thus far I have been able to resist that temptation. Instead it's going to be a day of more or less solid stitching. The new month (is it really June?) brings with it a new 6 x 12" journal quilt for the Contemporary Quilt Group. They set the size for all the journal quilts this year and I choose my own theme of words.

The background of this piece was made using the selvedges of fabrics, where you usually find the name of the producer of the fabric, as well as the individual designer. Also the name of the fabric itself and a representation of the colour scheme. The small strips were all laid on a background fabric, topped with Mistyfuse, ironed down and machine quilted.

I used a very impressionistic looking fabric for the letters of the word FRAGMENTS, and they were cut out with a Brother Scan'nCut machine, Bondawebbed (WonderUnder in US speak)down and machine stitched. As per usual I added seed beads on the letters and around the binding (made from the same fabric as the letters. Finally I sewed on some vintage buttons as shown.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails