Thursday 2 July 2015

Sparkle Journal Quilt

The good weather has meant getting behind in posting art on this blog as in all honesty when the sun shines I simply have to be outside. It has always been like that. I'm a sun worshipper! Of course I wouldn't get behind as much if I stopped making art and working in my sketchbook, but it's just so much fun and when things dry quickly I can keep in what most artists call "the zone".

Only thing to do is try and catch up as best I can and I'm making a start by showing you the 6 x 12" journal quilt I made for July inspired by that element that is seldom missing from any of my art: sparkle. The size for the journal quilt was set by the Contemporary Quilt Group and I decided to dedicate my journal quilts this year to words.

The background for this one was a piece of gelli plate printed fabric that was hand quilted. The letters were cut from a very sparkly fabric (I think it was originally meant as a christmas one) using the Brother Scan'nCut machine. They were machine appliquéd onto the background. I then went to work with the sparkling embellishments, adding sequins and beads to the letters, glass buttons at selected places as shown and finishing with silver seed beads along the binding.

 

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

VERY beautiful!!

Linda Kunsman said...

gorgeous sparkle and shine in this piece!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails