Tuesday 16 February 2016

Blue is the Colour

The Documented Life Project 2016 is continuing with the February theme of: Love without Hesitation - taking the leap, and the art challenge is to use shades of one colour. I must admit to being slightly fed up with all the hearts currently adorning the online world so didn't want to add any to this spread. Instead I went for the Taking the Leap part of the theme and I used the quotation: "Sometimes, if you aren't sure about something, you just have to jump off the bridge and grow your wings on the way down". That led to choosing blue for my monochromatic colour theme as it's also in keeping with the icy conditions outside.

I used a wide variety of blue paints and inks for the background in my 8 x 8" Dylusions journal and them collaged on the various elements. The text was printed out on the computer, cut out, edges coloured with Salty Ocean Distress Ink and glued on. I was so lucky to find the skating figure in my stash of imagery. She seemed made for the page as a bit of leaping action was evident.  She had to have a wing, of course, and I had a black one (Dresden scrap) and jazzed it up with silver from Inkagold. As I was looking through my Dresden scrap collection I also found the blue stars and used them.

On the facing page I collaged with blue images and also dyed fabrics.  The words Blue is the Colour also came from a magazine.

I wanted the bridge element to be present too and I found the Venezuelan postage stamp which was a perfect fit.  I added blue dots (from a Tim Holtz rubber stamp) as well as smaller white ones (the smallest stencil from the October 2014 Stencilgirl Club).

 After yesterday when the snow was sparkling in the sunshine (in sharp contrast to today's icy and windy conditions) I felt an urge to add sparkle to these pages and I did as you can see.

Finally just a word about today, the 16th February 2016. It's exactly 10 years ago that I was notified that my quilt Blue Waves had been stolen Most of you already know the story but if not, you can read all about the sad saga here. It seems quite incredible that so much time has gone by and nothing further has been heard about this affair nor have any of the quilts (4 other quilts made by different quilters were also taken) been seen anywhere. I have accepted long ago that I won't set eyes on this quilt ever again but I remain very curious about what exactly happened and why.

Yes, it tones in well with the journal spread today, and no, that's no accident. I have been thinking about the quilt knowing this anniversary was coming up and the colour slipped onto the art journal pages. Just occasionally I contemplate re-making it better than the original, but in all honesty I have moved on artistically speaking and also simply don't have the will to repeat myself.

Just on the off chance the thief is reading this (and you just never know!) it is not too late to return it to me. You know the address as it's on the label and I will ask no questions!

2 comments:

Maggi said...

I love your spin on the challenge! Wow, had it been 10 years since this happened?! Ugh, it still makes me sick to think about and it just makes no sense. I know I've said it before but again, so sorry this happened to you!

creativelenna said...

Ten years ago, Frieda?? This does not seem possible. SO sorry the Blue Waves quilt is sadly, still missing. I do commend you for taking that much loved color and creating the beautiful spread that you did. I really do like it! P.S. Tomorrow is my StencilGirl Guest designer day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails