Wednesday 29 March 2017

Not a Home

I've long known I have a dog fixation but wasn't aware of my huge collection of house imagery to collage, till I started looking for houses prompted by the theme on Joggles Art Journal Adventures this week which was: home. And then I thought of a way to combine them and used the quotation: "A house is not a home without a dog".  The dog image was a recent find in a magazine. It's a dachshund and the face looks so much like Flora's face. Should I get her a hat?!
The background started with gesso (into which I scratched random patterns) and collage using some of those house images coming from a variety of sources. I then added Distress Crayons as well as acrylic paint and the L167 Houses Stencil by Stencilgirl Products. I added some stamping with one of the stamps from an ImpressMeNow stamp sheet.
I found the words of the quotation in a wide variety of magazines ("without" was particularly difficult to locate!) and added the focal point house and dog.
Dinah Wakley's new line of washi tape was used to point in the direction of home. And hurrah, that focal house had another dog being walking in front of it. Sometimes the universe is kind!
This spread was done in a small (6 x 8) notebook journal with peacocks on the front that I received as a gift for Christmas. I'm glueing the pages together in pairs and using heavy gesso in order to make the pages sturdy enough for all the wet media and glue I'm applying. It's standing up so well, and I love the size.

3 comments:

Bonnie Irvine said...

Absolutely delightful, as usual, Frieda! I love the dog in his dapper little hat (not sure yours would appreciate one :) ) and all of the various houses. The detail always makes me happy and causes me to linger over your pages. I would hate to miss anything...LOL

Linda Kunsman said...

really brilliant combination of imagery and colors-and of course, the theme is so near and dear to my heart. I'd love to see a pic of Flora in a hat:)

anna said...

So wonderful, Frieda!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails