Sunday 26 May 2019

Flower Carpet

The quilt show season is in full swing now and last weekend it was the Quilt UK one in Malvern, organized by Grosvenor Shows Ltd. There are less quilt shows here in the UK than there used to be and I am also making less quilts than in the past. Those two things are not connected in any way,  but for me it means a happy serendipity as I have enough work to enter the shows that are still ongoing.

As you can see Flower Carpet came back with two rozettes, one for the Surface Texture and Embellishment Prize and the other for a Judges Merit. If you are a regular reader here you will probably recognize this as a follow up quilt to Spring in the City about which I wrote a blog post some weeks ago. In fact, there is a bit of a series of flower quilts coming up as I'm working on another one at the moment.
This one is machine pieced (with black and white fabrics from my stash)and quilted. The flowers (all Alison Glass designed fabric) were stamped using Hero Arts stamps in 3 different sizes, raw edge appliquéd (using Bondaweb), hand embroidered and embellished with beads and sequins. Once finished it reminded me of Oriental carpets hence the name.
Here it is with its rozettes which I will now hang up on the wall. Most people that visit us,  think I'm some very accomplished horse rider but no, quilt shows also give out rozettes as prizes just like horse events do. Mine are mainly used to bolster my confidence during times when my inner critic plays up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails