Saturday 1 September 2007

Quilt in 232 exhibition and Voting for Artcardideas!

I haven't blogged for a few days as my mother is over so there is not that much time left over for other things. But today we went to the official opening of the 232 group exhibition at the Smith Art Gallery in Stirling. The 232 group consist of graduates of the City & Guilds courses in Embroidery or Patchwork/Quilting at Cardonald College, Glasgow. Sadly these courses have now been discontinued at the collage, so no new members will be joining this group in future. The Smith Art Gallery is a lovely venue and I was very pleased with how my quilt was hanging. The walls of the gallery are red which set off the quilt to perfection. It's very large, just over 2M square and the gallery was just the right setting.

The quilt is called Striped Shapes and won a 1st Prize for Large Wallhangings in the National Quilt Championships, Sandown, in 2005 and has spend last year travelling with the World Quilt Festival in various venues in the US. Finally it arrived home again and I decided to display it here. Very pleased with that decision now! The circles have been applied using buttonhole stitch and the applique uses no Bondaweb, just the stitching holds the shapes in place. The fabrics used are all commercial 100% cotton batiks.






Also you may remember that I send 2 fabric postcards to Artcardideas for the competition to select the cards that will be featured on their calendar next year. I have posted pictures of my two cards again, just to remind you. You can now vote for these cards here:








So if you really like them, please vote for one or both of them. Thanks so much!! I would love to be in the calendar so need all the support I can get!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt - how long is the exhibition on for?
Rather torn as to how to vote - the two cards are both beautiful - but I finally plumped for the lovers (sigh). Good luck:)

Sue McGettigan said...

I'm enamoured of these pieces - you work with such beautiful colours!

Anonymous said...

Frieda.. this quilt is beautiful...

Frieda Oxenham said...

Thanks so much everyone, for your kind comments and of course for voting! The 232 exhibition lasts till the 7th October, Fiona!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails