Saturday 17 January 2009

New Dawn


I finished my piece for the Collage Mania event, which will be taking place in May this year (see also the sidebar at right for more information). I have also used this piece for an article in the series about Journal Quilts, currently running in the Popular Patchwork magazine which will be published some time, probably in the summer, so I'm not going to explain how I made it! For the moment the picture will have to do.

The piece is called New Dawn which refers both to the subject matter of the piece as well as to the research done by the American Cancer Society (all the money raised by Collage Mania goes to this charity!). Hopefully this research will bring a New Dawn for cancer sufferers in the near future! The collages will start selling at $80 each on the 5th May this year. Virginia Spiegel, the organizer, has so far managed to raise more than $165.000 with many different fund raising activities, but this is the last year for the Collage Mania event! It really gives you a chance to acquire collages by very well known and prize-winning fiber artists for a very reasonable prize while at the same time supporting an extremely good cause! Don't worry about remembering all this info now though. If you are a regular reader of this blog I will keep you posted!!
Last year I stayed up long into the night to buy one myself. At the same time two of my collages were also sold!
This piece is dedicated to the memory of Amanda. I did my City and Guilds Embroidery Course at the same time as her (back in the early nineties) and she was a truely talented embroiderer. She had a baby during the course but sadly less than a year later Amanda herself died of colon cancer. It seemed then and still seems now such a waste!

1 comment:

creativelenna said...

oh, frieda. This is so beautiful. A bit different in style from all your other work I have seen, but I am sure I have not seen all of it! : ) I really like what you have created here for collage Mania. I too will participate again this year. With my father battling 2 types of cancer this past year, colon & liver . . . it will have a very 'charged' meaning for me.

Thank you for reminding me to be thinking about what I will make! I love seeing your work and reading how you create it, even if it will be in due course . . . it is always worth the wait. xo lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails