Friday 24 April 2009

Daffodils


At this time of year I simply can't stop wondering around the garden to look at all the new life that seems to appear from nowhere. The predominant colour is yellow as the daffodils are now fully out here on our 900 ft Scottish hill and when the sun is also out as it was today, the whole world seems to be one great yellow fest.


Daffodils always bring the following poem to mind. Most people are familiar with the first few lines but few know the rest so here it is, courtesy of William Wordsworth:

Daffodils

I wander'd lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils.
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky ways,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The wave beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company!
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

3 comments:

Maggi said...

Those pictures are beautiful and Wordsworth is one of my favorites, thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

Tristan Robin said...

ah I love daffodils, too!

you're easily a week or two ahead of us here ... we have a few blooming - but the big clumps of them are still just in the budding stage.

your property is enchanting!

creativelenna said...

What a lovely poem and and even more gorgeous view. I would be wandering outside a lot too, if I were you, Frieda! Thank you for the beautiful, peaceful look into your corner of the world. : )

xo lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails