Saturday 23 January 2010

Synchronicity and Su Blackwell

As regular readers of this blog will be aware, I love finding examples of synchronicity. or serendipity as it is also known, in life. Whenever it happens (and it does very frequently to my intense delight) my heart gives a happy leap. The Su Blackwell synchronicity event is even more special as a total of three happenings came together, in a very short time frame. And I wanted to share them with you so we can all celebrate what the universe gives with such a generous hand.

The first thing that happened back in December was that I received an e-mail from my very good friend Lenna Andrews (who lived in Connecticut at the time!) alerting me to the opening of an exhibition by Su Blackwell in Edinburgh (only 15 miles from where I live in the Scottish Borders). You can read all about my visit to that exhibition on a previous blog post here.

The next thing that occurred was that I received the last issue for 2009 of the Dutch magazine Libelle. My mother treats me to a subscription as a Xmas gift every year and it's one of the few Dutch language publications I read on a regular basis. Can you imagine my amazement when I saw one of Su's artworks on the front cover. You can see it above. The text reads: almost 2010. I have no idea why it found it's way there but I was delighted to have this large picture of a piece I had loved in the exhibition.

Then very recently I was reading a blog post by another of my on-line friends, the art quilter and fellow lover of all things sparkly Tristan Robin Blakeman and I really could hardly believe my eyes when he too featured some gorgeous pieces by Su on his recent blogpost.

Of course the fact that Lenna, Tristan and I like the same art is hardly a revelation. We love each other's work so we must share similar tastes. But to have all this pop up so close together in time (although definitely not space!) is like a fairytale to me. Very appropriately as Su's work is very magical and fairytale like in its conception and execution. In fact, one of her works was build on the base of a book about fairytales. And a magic wand was wielded to make all these events come together!

4 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

wow - that magazine cover is another beauty!

I'm so envious you got to see her work up close and personal LOL.

I believe that all this coincidental posting means that all three of us are going to meet up at Su Blackwell exhibit sometime.

Wheeeeeeeee

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Hello, come see our synchronicity site.
Rob Roy MacGregor

Maggi said...

I love when things like this happens! It's almost like someone is saying, "You're are pointed in the right direction!" lol Very cool!

creativelenna said...

Frieda, i love serendipity as much as you! it happens a lot in my life.
What a great post. i am so glad you got to see that exhibit. i would have loved to have gone with you . . . oh, you are right, it is not surprising you, Tristan & I all like Su Blakewell's art - it's magical! xo lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails