Wednesday 21 July 2010

A Thing of Beauty Quiltie


Finally time for the very last project I made in my capacity as Design Team member for Alpha Stamps and I'm showing it today to make up for the endless, non-stop rain which is lashing down. The flowers outside are all looking very sad and bedraggled as a result and hopefully this quiltie will provide you (and me) with a riot of colour to make up for it. I made it back in May and used a wide variety of flower fabrics for the background. They were cut into strips and ironed onto Fast2Fuse. A decorative machine stitch of leaves was stitched over the edges of the strips using a variegated thread.

Images from Alpha Stamps Women & Flowers, Pink Roses and Tallulah's Flowers collage sheets were added by either using stitch or my Xyron Creatopia, that makes items including fabric into stickers by adding a glue layer to the back. The green leaves ribbon is also available from Alpha Stamps. A fabric was ironed to the other side of the Fast2Fuse and the edges were finished with ribbon in 2 different colours (also from Alpha Stamps).

I finished by adding the vintage quotation that reads:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever;
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.

4 comments:

creativelenna said...

Gorgeous!! What size is this frieda??
xo lenna

Georgina said...

EEeeeh what a lovely tonic! I am ready for the sun to shine again now as we have water at the spring again!! Did some dead heading yesterday and Yes! the roses look melancholy. Your spread is beautiful and I should show them so they remember their spiritual truth!!
My sketchbook arrived today - Yikes!!!!

Frieda Oxenham said...

Sorry, Lenna, should have mentioned that! It's sized 6 x 9" approx. And you'll love your sketchbook, Georgine. I'm already dreading having to send it back!! I'm so bad at letting my art go out and make it's own way in the world!

Debby said...

Hi Frieda, this is absolutely gorgeous. Love it!
Debby

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails