Saturday 30 July 2011

Raw Umber and Royal Purple ATCs



Time to upload the latest colour combination ATCs for the Colour Groupies, as Lenna, Debby, Caryl and Tristan have received their respective cards. I started by taken some calico (muslin in US speak) and used Raw Umber and Purple acrylic paint. Once that was dry I ironed the fabric to Fast2Fuse and cut it into ATC sized pieces. I found a batik fabric in just the right raw umber colour and layered it on top, followed by the fabric images. I choose the image seen above on the ATC I kept myself as it's one of my favourites. She just looks so wistful.



The images I used came from a variety of sources, mostly my own vintage postcards, and were printed out onto fabric. They were sewn onto the background by hand and I then added some vintage music with text. Fabric was ironed on to the back of the Fast2Fuse and the edges were also edged by hand, using buttonhole stitching. And then I spotted a pot of Golden gloss medium on my desk and thought: "what would happen if I brushed that over the ATCs?". Well, there was only one way to find out, so I did. And really love the effect, specially that the gloss could be seen really well on the paper music sheets but not on the fabrics so much. I'll definitely add that technique to my box of tricks!


As you can see I made 6 ATCs as this makes it easier to cut out a piece of Fast2Fuse to match without having bits left over. The 6th one usually gets send out into the wide world as a RAK (0r random act of kindness) to someone, for no particular reason, just because I fancy doing it. That one too is now on it's way, courtesy of Royal Mail.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Oh just Lovely Frieda! I think the color combo is fab, and your images too. The stitching is such a great touch. I can't see the gold gloss in the photos but I am sure it is perfect! Well done! Lucky swappers who get one of these!
Hugs,
Terri

fabriquefantastique said...

great color, really rich

creativelenna said...

These ATCs are all so beautiful Frieda. I love the way you have combined the colors and feel quite spoiled to have one of them in my collection!
yummy color combo!
xoxox lenna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails