Thursday 1 September 2016

September Journal Quilt


The year is galloping on towards the finishing line and we have now arrived at the last 4 journal quilts for the Contemporary Quilt Group that all have to contain a piece at least 1/2" square coloured orange after our previous colours of 4 purple and 4 green. The Contemporary Group also set the size at 8 x 10".
You are probably aware by now that I'm using tartan and tweed fabrics for my journal quilts this year, coming from Lochcarron Woollen Mill as well as from Fabric Affair.
 I'm trying to make my journal quilts look folksy which has been much harder than I imagined when I started. Techniques used are: hand quilting, raw edge appliqué with hand stitching, hand embellishing with beads and buttons.
The large yummy button you can see above came from Daytona Trimmings in West 39th Street, NY. We found this shop in the same street as our hotel and although still closed when we tried the door at 8.30 am on a Saturday morning, Neil came to the door and led me in. Such service and what a treasure trove the place proved to be! Highly recommend a visit if you should find yourself in New York.

1 comment:

SheilasEmbroidery said...

I love this quilt Frieda. Beautiful colours

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails